Monday, November 30, 2009

Black Friday

This weekend I went on my first "Black Friday" excursion. Not being the crazy sort to wait in line all night, I set my alarm for a 'reasonable' 4:50 am.

The moment my alarm went off, I realized that I must be the dumbest person alive. This was definitely not worth the $100 I hoped to save on Christmas presents. In fact, at that moment I would have gladly paid someone $100, if it meant that I could stay in bed for another hour or two.

Unfortunately, I knew that my Aunt was probably already waiting in line at our first stop, so even though my body rebelled, I forced myself to roll out of bed. As I stumbled to the bathroom like a drunken sailor, I made a solemn vow to myself. Not only would this be my first Black Friday shopping would be my last.

Fifteen minutes later, dressed and caffeinated, I picked up my purse and headed towards the garage to begin my unwelcome adventure. Just as I was leaving I received a call from my Aunt. She had already been to two stores...and left when she encountered the mobs of people that had gobbled up the Black Friday specials as if they were pieces of leftover pumpkin pie. She had returned home in defeat, and called to warn me in case I wanted to stay home.

Having already swallowed my prescription-strength upper, and gripping my extra large instant coffee, I realized that it was too late for me. Rather than sit quietly at home, unable to sleep, I decided to make the most of my one and only Black Friday shopping trip.

My first hour was spent sipping coffee and singing along with Christmas music as I made the drive into the city. At my first stop, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the first wave of manic shoppers was departing. My happiness dimmed slightly when I discovered that the first item on my list, a gift for my husband, had long since disappeared from the shelves. Luckily I rebound quickly, and I perked up as I strolled through the store, picking up various five dollar items that I am sure made up for the one deal that I lost.

After hitting a second store, my stomach started to rebel against its liquid (coffee) breakfast. I headed over to my mother-in-law's apartment, hoping for some free breakfast and fresh coffee. I successfully begged for my breakfast, and then headed back out for some more shopping, this time with my mother-in-law, niece, and oldest daughter in tow.

By lunchtime I had saved over $200, at least that's what my receipts say, and spent seven hours doing pretty much whatever I wanted to do. This while my poor husband cleaned both bathrooms and got our other three kids ready for the afternoon football game at Grandma's.

I have now decided that shopping on Black Friday might be a good idea after all. Only next year I am definitely spending the night at Grandma's, that way I have an extra hour to sleep. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I believe next year we all need to bring our p.j.'s and spend the night at "Grandma's house". Oh, wouldn't that be a riot! Guess I should have hung in there with you this year. Sorry about that!