Thursday, January 14, 2010

Divine Budgeting

Matt and I were working on bills tonight (getting everything switched over to automatic payments) and we thought it was a good time to revamp our budget. A new raise (woohoo!) and some new bills made this strategizing session necessary. We randomly split Matt's raise between his car payment and the house payment. I then set about recording which bills we had going out from each paycheck.

My initial recording showed a large difference between our bill totals on the first of the month and our middle of the month totals, so we (again randomly) took one of our voluntary payments and switched it from the first to the fifteenth. I added the totals again and was surprised to see that they were now exactly equal. $1515 total for bills on the first, and $1515 total for bills on the fifteenth. Weird!

After this I took Matt's actual pay and subtracted the bill total to see how much was leftover. Lo and behold, the amount leftover was $600 per pay period...the exact amount that I normally budget for food and gas!

So we sat down tonight with two brains that were working at less than half capacity (hey, it was a long day!) and accidently came up with a perfectly balanced budget. I guess you had to be there, but there is no doubt in either of our minds that our budget for 2010 was divinely inspired. The moral of the story is that God is always working in our lives, even when we aren't expecting Him to.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot imagine trying to budget for a whole family like yours....heck, I can't even do it for Leonard and I! Way to go guys....isn't it awesome to realize that God is so involved in even the tiniest aspects of our lives.

    ReplyDelete